Below is an example of a a movie review I did for my schools newspaper on The Graduate. 




From college graduate to real life drop out
From everyone I had talked to this movie was a hit from 67 to now. It was a movie anyone could relate to and love, but not me. Though I’m not graduating college, like ben, I am graduating high school and because of that I thought it was a perfect time to watch The Graduate. Number 17 on the AFI top 100 is The Graduate, and to most people I talked to it was witty, heartfelt, and relatable. To me it was exactly the opposite.
Ben Braddock, played by Dustin Hoffman was a recent college graduate having no idea where his future was going and the pressure from his friends and family seemed to looming over him. Through the madness of figuring out his future he find an unlikely companion from Mrs. Robinson, a married family friend that is twice his age. As the summer goes on he continues his affair with her but seems to want more. In one specific scene he tell her he wants to actually talk and get to know her more. As the movie goes on he begins to realize she will never be able to give him what he wants, but finds it in someone else. Ben begins to have feelings for Mrs. Robinson’s daughter, Elaine. This causes disruption and Mrs. Robinson threatens to expose the truth to her daughter. So in hopes Elaine will understand Ben rushes to tell her before her mother can. She takes it as most wood, heartbroken and shocked. For the rest of the film she avoids him until the end when she is about to marry another man, Ben storms in and him and Elaine run away together.
The film immediately begins with action as about ten minutes into the movie Mrs. Robinson asks Ben to drive her home and there is when she tries to seduce Ben. To me the film had no build up to create a connection with the actors, they jumped right into the action of the film.  I thought the way the director Nichols Webb portrayed Ben was how he should have been. In the film they talk about how smart and all his success in college, but they he talks makes him sound intelligent.  Though he is supposed to be nervous when talking to Mrs. Robinson he still is portrayed as dumb later in the film when he is not talking to her. The movie is also on the AFI top 100 comedies and though the movie was made in the late 60’s and comedy has changed as times go on, I only found certain parts funny. I never found myself cackling, but maybe a smile and a chuckle.
Though I was not a huge fan of the movie I understood why it’s on the top 100. One example would be the camera techniques they used for this time. One scene particular I found interesting was the scene where was in ben with Mrs. Robinson and it jump cuts to him lying in the pool and his dad talking to him, it then jump cuts back to him in bed with her. Another reason was because of the plot as a whole. As time has passed from the movie being released, the plot has been used and modified for other films. The classic plot scheme of a younger person falling for someone older they can’t have is a staple in Hollywood.
Another main reason the film was so successful was because of the cast. Dustin Hoffman during this time was one of the biggest actors. He has been a part of Meet the Fockers, Tootsie, and Rainman. There are plenty more but these were just some of his more famous work. He is still acting today and continues to make movies. Another Famous actor from the movie is Anne Bancroft, who has one an Oscar and been in countless productions since The Graduate.
Though I did not like the movie as much as I wanted to I understand why so many do. I’m glad I watched the movie I really did enjoy the film and the plot but I wish the characters dialogue and rising action would have been developed better. Overall I would suggest for everyone to watch the movie at least once in their life time.    

Rate: 2 out of 5 stars!

Comments